Thursday, February 16, 2012

Drugs, mugs and the press bug

TCU is starting to look a little like Penn State with that egg on its face.

Of course, the chancellor and other university officials did a much cleaner job of handling the news of students' drug-dealing crimes than Penn State officials did with the child abuse accusations. But I think what we really have to ask ourselves is: Why?

Yes, I'm glad they did not attempt to cover this up. I'm glad they released well-rehearsed statements, and I'm glad they spoke with the media. But I am confused why this on-campus incident got more attention than student suicides and sexual assaults in the past. The drug dealing that was done was relatively small and inconsequential. It was a victimless situation.

Why is this case so important? Is it because four football players were involved? Is it because many members of the football team supposedly failed their surprise drug tests on Feb. 1? Does this really all boil down to sports? Again?

I guess all I have are questions. I mean, a prayer vigil? Really? For a drug bust? Where was the dang prayer vigil for Mackenzie Workman who committed suicide last month?

I don't know, but I'm sure the answers are just as depressingly simple and mundane as the questions themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment