Thursday, January 26, 2012

A screen within a screen

After reading Part III of Hamlet's Blackberry, I took a moment to consider how connected I am, and I have to say, I think I'm getting pretty good at this whole balance thing.

Sure, I have a smart phone -- an iPhone -- and I frequently text and email and log onto Facebook throughout the day. But as soon as I get home, I like to unwind and forget about those digital ties. I like to forget about my responsibilities. I don't know how healthy that is, but it stops me from stressing out about every little thing I have to do. When I'm with my roommate and our friends, I don't need my phone because these are the people I would be communicating with anyway. I feel like our interactions are fairly organic because they primarily consist of listening to music, grabbing a bite to eat and talking about whatever may be on our minds.

I feel like my generation is probably the last one to experience a time that was not totally dominated by technology. My childhood was vastly different from what my nine-year-old sister's is like today. Yes, my family had a computer, but it wasn't something sophisticated, and I'm not sure what we ever used it for anyway. I remember playing around with the word processor, fascinated by the letters that appeared and disappeared from the screen. I remember playing outside for hours with the neighborhood kids more though. Sometimes, my sister will venture outside to play with the neighbors, but more often than not I find her engrossed in a YouTube video or SpongeBob game. And I wonder how that will affect her in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment